New NE OKC development fuels growth
The newest phase of Page Woodson in northeast Oklahoma City is nearly complete, with occupancy expected to begin on the first two apartment buildings in early August.
Located on the southwest corner of NE Sixth Street and N. Kelley Avenue, the third phase of the Page Woodson development is called New Page West and satisfies more of our downtown housing demand. The $10 million development, built on land acquired from the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority, includes four new buildings offering a total of 116 apartments with a mix of 34 workforce/affordable units and 82 market-rate units, a clubroom and an athletic center. Those qualifying for affordable units must have an income of no more than 70% of the area’s adjusted median income and for workforce units, no more than 80%.
Offering a variety of rental rates is important. Various apartment sizes, as well as the range of rental prices, attracts a blend of individuals and families who currently live in the area or attend school or work nearby. Page Woodson is walking distance to the Innovation District and the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, one of Oklahoma City’s top employers. Having more workforce and affordable housing in this high-growth area means nurses, technicians, teachers and other median-income workers can afford to live in quality housing.
The development is also significant in other ways. New Page West is directly west and southwest of the first two phases of Page Woodson development that started with the historic renovation of the Douglass High School building. Built in 1910 as Lowell School, the school was renamed Frederick Douglass High School in 1933 when it became the only all-Black high school in Oklahoma City during segregation. Well-known artists including Duke Ellington, Jimmy Rushing, Charlie Christian and Pulitzer Prize author Ralph Ellison performed in the school auditorium. In 1954, the school was renamed Page Woodson and when it closed in 1993, sat abandoned and neglected for two decades.
Read more at The Journal Record